Saturday, August 21, 2010

Random Sh*t

Hahaha, i feel so much more like myself after typing the tittle for this post!

But anyway, was in a bit of a downer after my OHC session on thursday- i had so much trouble with my temporary restoration, and i just wasn't happy with it at all. It's so disappointing to be disappointed in yourself if you know what i mean. It was the first time i had done a temporary restoration in clinic, and by no means is that an excuse for NOT doing it well, but at least, i will learn from it, and not screw it up AGAIN next time. The ZOE kept falling out of the cavity, and when i finally tried to carve it, bits started breaking off, and the ZOE hardened much faster than i had anticipated :( So the next time i attempt a temporary restoration, my plan of action would be to ball up the ZOE and just pack in the whole thing, and carve it, all as fast as possible.

My hypothesis why the ZOE hardened so much faster as compared to the time it took in the lab, was due to all the moisture in the mouth (a rubber dam couldn't be used as the cavity was so deep, a rubber dam would obstruct the cavity), and the ledermix. That was the first time i used ledermix...EVER, and i'm ashamed to say, the first time i had heard of it as well :( It is basically used as an intra-canal medication (as a pulp-capping material during exposure or near-exposure of the pulp). It contains a cortisone derivative and a broad-range antibiotic, for preventing inflammation and infection respectively, resulting in pain relief. The ledermix is a thin paste which doesn't dry or harden at chairside, so the ZOE was placed over this almost-liquid which also added to the moisture in the mouth. Since moisture apparently accelerates the setting of ZOE, it would explain the rapid hardening.

I definitely won't always get to work in ideal conditions, so this just means i need to improve myself to adapt to any situation. It doesn't lessen the abject disappointment i feel in myself, but i'm glad i at least know what i really need to work on now. And on the bright side, I also gave my first LA injection (buccal infiltration) on a patient, and it was successful- my patient didn't really feel any pain :) I also had a really good supervisor (i've never been in his session before, so another first!), so that was awesome. He was very direct which i like, and really teaches :DDD

I feel a bit better than i did, but that was really a wake-up call. And maybe one i needed. Time to start brushing up on EVERYTHING again.

Just to justify my post tittle, every time i hear the bridge of Taylor Swift's, "Today Was A Fairytale", where she sings, "I can feel my heart, it's beating in my chest", I think, "No shit! You're having palpitations! And if your heart isn't beating in your chest, honey, you'd be DEAD." Yeah, i know it's actually pretty mean since it's supposed to illustrate how she feels and all, and i actually do quite like her music, but i can't help it! And that, is my random shit for the day. Anyhow, Bandung post should be up soon, still a work in progress though, lazyyy to finish it haha. Till then!

3 comments:

  1. no new post?? boohooo D: LOLOL!! you know i'm just prodding for posts to read! :DDDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, i almost didn't see this, only when i wanted to write LOL! So i guess you're in luck. Haha, go updateee :DDD

    ReplyDelete
  3. i updated more recently than you!! hahahhaha updateupdate! i probably will lah hehehe holiday todayyyy wheeee :D

    ReplyDelete